Kinda like bragging
I’m really not into writing posts like this, but I’ve been told by the Powers that I should, because it s great. And it totally is. But if this post reads like me bouncing on my own pogo stick, I apologize. Be assured we will return to our regularly scheduled program of self-deprecation and dick jokes shortly.
There’s these folks called Kirkus. They do book reviews. Their shtick is that they’re the “toughest book critics in the world”. Authors kinda dread them. The dudes have got no mercy.
They reviewed STORMDANCER last week and gave it one of these:
Which is lovely and terribly flattering and pretty much their highest accolade. They don’t give these things out often, apparently. And I’m told it’s a “really big deal”, which is great. I totally played air guitar when I found out. It’s awesome. This news came right on the heels of the revelation the STORMDANCER got a starred review in Publisher’s Weekly, and was also their PW Pick of the Week. Which is also super cool. But I still feel like I’m bouncing on my own pogo stick. So I’m going to stop. Right nnnnnow.
Couple of other things:
1. We’ll be launching the next phase of my website jaykristoff.com in the next couple of weeks. It’ll have a downloads section with a bunch of artwork and stuff, plus a section on the world of STORMDANCER, with maps and info on all the clans and a potted history of the Shima imperium. Which hopefully people will dig.
2. Those of you who live in Melbourne, or who live elsewhere and are reaaaally keen, the details for the STORMDANCER book launch are as follows!
When: 7.00 – 8.30pm, Friday September 7.
Where: Dymocks City Store, 234 Collins St
I’ll mumble my way through a half-assed speech and then will be totally happy to sign your books. We’ll have books on sale there on the night, but if you want to bring copies bought elsewhere, all good too. More importantly:
When: 8.30pm – Whenever, Friday September 7.
Where: Robot Bar
I dunno about anyone else, but I’ll be getting drunk there. Probably very drunk, as possibly Up To No Good. If you wish to get drunk and Up To No Good with me, that’s awesome.
3. I’m going to be giving away a few signed books in the next couple of weeks, courtesy of some of the lovely folks who were nice enough to blurb STORMDANCER. Amongst the prize pool will be signed copies of Pat Rothfuss’ THE NAME OF THE WIND and THE WISE MAN’S FEAR containing spoilers for book 3 scrawled in Pat’s own nigh-illegible script inside.
So stay tuned.
4. Entries for the Raiders of the last ARC competition are officially closed. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU to the totally awesome people who put so much time and energy and creativity into this thing. I love you. The bride and I will undergo the unenviable task of picking a winner out of ALL THE AWESOME this weekend.
Thanks guys, you all fucking rule.
5. Eight weeks until STORMDANCER hits shelves. Yikes.
That’s it. Have fun, stay safe.